The Other Side Of The Coin
Wednesday, February 28, 2007
SMK USJ 12
Funny how life works.

I first thought about teaching in St. John's after I finished my form 6 as a temporary teacher. I told Carrie about my idea, and she thought it'll be a good idea too. So she asked her aunt who was a teacher. Her aunt happens to be a friend of Pn. Teo, who is a teacher in SMK USJ 12.

So here we are. The 4 of us.

There we were, as a matter of fact. As of this day we're no longer teachers in that school.
As an echo of my farewell speech earlier today, it was an unbelievable experience.
Unbelievable because only a few months ago we were students, cursing our own teachers, and now, here we are, being teachers ourselves.

In many ways, SMK USJ 12 exceeded my expectations as a school. I come from a premier school in St John's, yet SMK USJ 12 is so different ; unique in their very own way. I enjoyed the rapport in the staffroom. The other teachers were simply brilliant in lending their support and guidance in any way possible. I enjoyed the facilities; there were 3 computers with printers and internet access, a sink and a mirror, with its cool cosy atmosphere.

Students. Where do I start? Lol.

I was first being assigned the KH subject for the boys (which I particularly hated as a student). I remember being so excited an enthusiastic about it, but I was disappointed for not being able to fully go ahead with my teaching, as this school lack BM teachers, and I had to enter countless of relief classes. I was teaching, 2 Delphi, 2 Explorer, 2 Genesis, 2 Lycos, and a few Form 1 classes at that time.

I decided that instead of wasting my time, I applied to take BM and PJ (my fav subject ever!) since many classes do not have a BM teacher. My classes were now 2 Explorer, 2 Genesis, 2 Finnix and 2 Midori. I also teach PJ for 2E/2F and 2M/2O. I have to admit, BM ain't my strongest art, but anything goes. It was hard, due to the fact that I hardly ever speak in BM. But I enjoyed it immensely nevertheless. It helped alot that Carrie was also teaching BM.

2 Explorer
Likeabality : A - I like this class actually.
Noise Level : B - Never too noisy, never too quiet.
Discipline problem : B+ - Ashvir and Zechary were said to be able to give problems, but
they were surprisingly fine. Occasionally late passing up of homeworks
here and there, but generally fine.
Students : B+ - The twins were a fun to teach, Jin Yew is over-enthusiastic as usual, Nawwal is good in Syair, the Monitor is blur and Daniel has the worst hand-writting ever.
Scrap Books : A - Has few of the best scrap books I've seen.

2 Finnix
Likeabality : A - Surprisingly good. The first class I entered as a BM teacher. Class I like the most.
Noise Level : B - Generally okay, but sometimes worse than 2E
Discipline problem : A -None so far. Consistent in passing up work.
Students : A -
Good and reliable monitor, funny unique characters around; Mun Chun, Sherlyn, Rodney, Faiq,Nicholas See. Likeable people aplenty; Benedict, Amirul, Adeline, May Hor, Brenda, Cheryl, Yee Teng, Justin.
Scrap Books : A - Consistent if not over-elaborate. Has the most full-marks out of the 4.
The best penghargaan ever came from this class. Lol.

2 Genesis
Likeabality : B- - Not bad at first. But not very nice in the end
Noise Level : D - Worst. Can be extremely noisy.
Discipline problem : C+ - Not as good as the previous two, more late books than usual.
Students :
B+ - Generally good monitor, funny characters; Kevin, Julian, Chung Heng, Pek June, Shankara, Tze Ching. Has the best bunch of Malay girls.
Scrap Books : A- - Not bad. Generally good and consistent.

2 Midori
Likeabality : B- - Not very nice honestly, but okay in the end.
Noise Level : A - Quietest of the lot, but potentially noisy too.
Discipline problem : B - Worse of all in passing up books, but still they are plenty of good
students here.
Students : B - Mostly quiet, monitor is reliable but crazy sometimes. Lol. Brenda Maggie Karling Xinyin are the standouts
Scrap Books : B+ - Few impressive ones, but generally okay. The only class with students who did not pass up.

Marking scrap books was fun but I had the feeling I know how Simon Cowell feels now. Lol.

PJ was absoulute fun! (except for sukantara)
Playing football twice a week was one of the moments I enjoyed most, except for the one moment Pn. Sarina came to interfere. (b.i.t.c.h.) Students are really good as well, which makes it more fun to play.

Here are some pictures I took on the last day..

Nicholas Kok can't believe I'll finally go. Lol

The 'best' handwriting ever

Funny guy

Blur Monitor, Chicken Little, Edwin, Sean

Sue Chen grabbing her opportunity

Teacher's sons, Ashvir

Edwin and Sean again

Last minute work to complete the scrap book

Zechary, Jedediah, Chang Jung Kit

Rita refused her photo to be taken, so her pencil case will do

Malcolm Brian

Shaereen

Such hardworking students I have. Well, some of them

Nadhirah who still owes me her homework

Cheryl Soh with Andrew's hand attached to it

My lessons were so boring, reading the visi was more fun. Lol

Their names elude me.

May sleeping after the stress of completing her scrap book

Sue Chen and Ling Yi

Sherlyn sleeping in a weird position

Great picture, sadly flash wasn't on

Scrap Book of the Year! Lol..

Used to teach them KH

Students at their very best

Finnix girls

Kausaliya and Oom Yin

posted by Mr. Bak @ 7:27 AM  
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Mr. Bak
Home: Kuala Lumpur, KL, Malaysia
About Me:
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Shoutbox


Links
Powered by

BLOGGER Free Web Counter
Free Web Counter